Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Laundry with Oxyclean

After making a double batch of the laundry soap made from this recipe with:



1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1 bar Fels Naptha
1/2 cup Oxyclean
 I found all ingredients at Walmart



I was a bit discouraged.  The smell of the bar laundry soap made me nauseous because it was so over powering.  I used my food processor, but should have stuck to grating the bars by hand.  The food processor I had grated the bar much faster than I could have but the pieces were much bigger.  Even after sending it through with the blade I ended up with a bunch of small chunks.  We just have to shake the jar really well before using it so the different weights of the layers aren't separated.  Its probably a good idea to shake it before every use anyways.  Back to what I was saying, the smell of this detergent is ridiculously potent, especially after making the Dove first.  HOWEVER I absolutely love this detergent!!! It cleans well, and smell good once it is out of the dryer.  I also found the nifty shot glass in the kitchen aisle that measures out 1 to 2 tablespoons, awesome find since each load needs 2 tablespoons. I'm beyond excited that this DIY laundry detergent actually worked out!  The detergent containing Oxyclean is more expensive, but still comes out to $.08 per load vs $.20 cents per load of Gain.  Excited to save money wherever we can. 

I'm loving that these DIY products are making me feel accomplished and worthwhile.  It feels like I have a project... though now its over so I guess it is time to find my next project.  Maybe hiring a full staff, to cook, clean, and cater to our every need (ha ha ha it was a nice thought).  Now back to reality, maybe sewing, or painting, or working on more stuff for the quiet room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment