Sunday, November 13, 2011

Phase 2

So I finally got around to making the second laundry detergent and it is quite different from the first.  The Dove is very pleasant and almost has a dull smell to it, now the second with the Fels Naptha and Oxyclean is very harsh to the nose!  We haven't tried the second out the in the washer but I think it is going to have more of an outcome smell wise that your typical detergent has, instead of neutral like the Dove.  We will be keeping both in containers with lids to keep the smells contained.  I remember being pregnant and wanting to stick my head in a box of gain because I was literally craving the smell of Gain.  My dear husband didn't think this was such a great idea. 
Anyways phase 2 was to also make other cleaners at home to help cut out some of the harshness of household cleaners.  I found a bunch of cleaners through a pin I found on Pinterest.  The oh so addictive Pinterest!!!  Here is where I was inspired to try a few.  I only made a few but I have to admit this project totally brought me back to the 3rd grade and my magical potions.  I reused baby food jars to hold the cleaners I made, I didn't want to make a huge batch and then hate them.  Also wanted to start this while I still had cleaners I trusted so that if my homemade ones didn't work I could still get the job done.  I did an all purpose cleaner, tile and tub cleaner, grout cleaner, scouring powder, glass cleaner, and mildew remover.  This should get me a pretty good start on cleaning. Plus I did a few jars of just Baking Soda for cleaning anything from the stove top to the bath tub.  Again THIS wonderful page was not only easy to navigate but has ways to make green cleaners for the bathroom, kitchen, floors, couch, grout, etc.  
I labeled each lid with what was inside and the outside of the jars with how to make it and how to use it, that way I didn't have to get online every time I wanted to clean.  Now the hard part, getting off the computer during nap time to actually go clean.  They were a fun project but now cleaning just seems overrated and the laziness is beginning to set in.  The ingredients were simple I ended up using Borax, Baking Soda, White Vinegar, Kosher Salt, and a vegetable oil-based liquid soap.  Next on the list of things to do, find a cleaning wipes recipe to resemble that of a Chlorox Wipe.  And to reorganize the laundry room so I can keep all the household cleaners and anything that isn't kid friendly in there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment